Canon India Pvt. Ltd. is a 100% subsidiary of Canon Singapore Pte.Ltd; a world leader in imaging technologies. Set up in 1997, Canon India markets a comprehensive range of sophisticated contemporary digital imaging products that include photocopiers, multi-functional peripherals, fax-machines, printers, scanners, digital cameras and multi media projectors. Five imaging engines of Image Capturing, Electrophotography, Bubble Jet, Semiconductor and Display drive these cutting-edge technology products. The company today has offices in 7 cities across India and employs over 400 people.
Canon started out in 1937 with the vision to make the best camera for the world. More than 6 decades later, now it is ranked 170th on Fortune 500 and has made a name not only in photography arena but is now a renowned brand in digital imaging. With a goal to bring the best innovations to people around the world, Canon has established more than 184 companies worldwide, employing more than 100,000 people in research and development, production, sales and marketing activities. Guided by its kyosei philosophy that focuses on “living and working together for the common good”, Canon is dedicated to producing innovative products and technologies, which improve efficiency at home and in the office. To advance this fine cause, Canon commits 8 percent of its total revenue each year to R&D. Since 1985, Canon has acquired 19,902 U.S. patents and in 2006 alone Canon obtained 2378 patents making it the World No 3 holder of U.S patents.
Canon has registered more than 1100 patented technologies in Digital Cameras, 2300 in inkjet printers, 5600 in multifunctional printers and more than 200 patented technologies in scanners.
While developing innovative technologies, Canon also seeks to preserve the natural environment with a host of environmentally friendly research and manufacturing policies, which reduce waste and preserve the environment.
Canon as an organisation has a culture of technology innovation and is driving the transition to the Digital Era in India via the introduction of sophisticated, new age digital imaging products. The company's product portfolio encompasses the entire spectrum of digital imaging solutions and provides end users superior application performance at competitive price points.
In 1997, Canon India Pvt Ltd was set up in the country. Since then, Canon has grown in strength to become one of India 's leading players in the areas of document management and imaging solutions.
Today, Canon India is an ISO 9001: 2000 and ISO14001:2004 certified company. Canon's USP in the Indian market is the fact that it offers a comprehensive range of the latest digital imaging products supported by a trained sales force across the country. The range of products offered by Canon in India is extremely diverse and includes copiers, printers, facsimile machines, scanners, multifunctional devices, multimedia solutions, consumables, digital cameras, digital camcorders and projectors. A hallmark of Canon's product portfolio is that – its products are built on convergence of technologies to offer multi-functionality at exceptionally high resolution.
In December 2006, Canon acquired a landmark customer base of over 1,000,000 consumers for its digital imaging products portfolio. As a part of the company's strong focus on distribution and channel network, Canon has 281 channel partners, 397 retail stores, 32 canon care centers, over 100 authorized service centers and more than 2700 IT resellers across 300 towns in India it does business in.
This year Canon India will be celebrating its 10th Anniversary of operations in India . As a part of these celebrations Canon is working on strengthening its brand in the country and ‘Indianising' the brand, which will see Canon embarking on many innovative and exciting programs to engage with customers, channel partners and employees. The company has appointed Sachin Tendulkar as the company's Corporate Brand Ambassador starting January 1, 2007. As a part of this association, Sachin will be part of Canon advertising, 10th anniversary celebrations, retail, press and outdoor campaigns. Canon will be spending over Rs 30 crore towards brand building initiatives. Also, the company will be embarking on a 100 city customer contact program through a Mobile Mini Expo across different Tier 2 and 3 cities. This Expo will aim at increasing customer awareness, introducing channel partners to the Canon Gyan Yatra and will culminate in a Grand Expo to be held in October 2007.
Canon will also be announcing the inauguration of its first Digital Media Lab located at School of Convergence in New Delhi . The lab will be equipped with all the latest Canon products needed for students to learn digital still photography. Canon will also be working on a number of customer loyalty programs, announcing special schemes and offers for its consumers in India.
In addition, Canon will be opening a Level 3 Canon Master Service center for the service of its camera, camcorder and professional camera range of products in Mumbai. For its employees, the company will be organizing a number of different motivational programs and will be strengthening its internal communication programs along with giving away special anniversary momentos. ‘People engagement' will be the theme through 2007. Canon India will be enhancing its Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives as it adopts 10 children to fund their education. The company will also organise the Canon ‘Excellence Awards' which will aim at identifying and recognizing performers in different categories to celebrate Canon's 10th anniversary and India's 60th year of Independence.
Creating an industry benchmark with new technologies in the latest product range, the company launched 87 new products in 2006 including the launch of 51 products on one single day which is an industry landmark for the largest number of products to be launched together. Canon's IInd phase of growth will see the company expanding into new product categories, new vertical customer segments and new geographical regions.
We would also focus on more initiatives towards channel relationship building, focused and localized advertising and promotion, participation in all major exhibitions, conducting road shows and trainings which would deliver us higher market shares and better partner relationships.
Canon presently has over 127 products offerings in India . Besides achieving No.1 market share in most product categories, we want to demonstrate that our people can reach the highest level of quality and customer satisfaction.
As part of its efforts to improve it's after sales service and customer support, Canon India has set up Canon Care Centre which are exclusive service centers providing single point access to customers for all their service needs for any product. The Canon Care Centre has been devised to ensure faster response, enhance personalized services and provide access to build in knowledge base. The centres would be branded with the new identity logo for service and would be equipped with trained service engineer to handle repairs and queries.
These exclusive centres will provide single face/single point of contact for Canon consumer products (Printers, Scanners etc) & would also be front ending for the Canon camera products. These centers would also sell consumables & accessories. The Canon Care Centres will enable, quick response, on time and on site service alongwith value added service to the customer. There are 32 such Care Centres across the country including metros and other cities such as Udaipur , Chandigarh , Indore , Surat , Cochin , Hyderabad , Patna , Bhubaneshwar and Ranchi . This will provide an added impetus to our drive towards B&C class cities.
To achieve its objective of faster service, Canon India also launched its Mobile On Site Support van. The mobile van will be available on call to collect the machine for repair and would return the product back at the customer's doorstep. This revolutionary initiative would bring service closer to the customer. The Canon Care Centres at Delhi , Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore , and Hyderabad will be supported with the Mobile On Site Support van.
In 2006 Canon India received the CII-EXIM Business Excellence award for ‘Strong Commitment to Excel' and the DMA-Erehwon runners up trophy on 'Innovative Practices in HR systems for people engagement'.
Canon – Company highlights for 2006
Highlights for 2006:
- Overall Canon India grew by 30%, in comparison to 2005 revenue of Rs. 306 crore (Gross proceeds), Canon has touched a turnover of Rs. 401 crore (Gross proceeds) in 2006.
- The Camera Business crossed a milestone of Rs. 100 crore by touching Rs. 107 crore which is a growth of 130% over previous year.
- The BIS business crossed a milestone of 10,000 copiers in one year, growing 18% over the previous year .
- The CSP Business crossed a milestone with 283% growth in BJ-AIOs.
- Canon now has a market share of 40% in D-SLR, 20% in Digital copiers and Digital Cameras and over 10% in BJ-AIOs and DV.
- Canon India received its 151st product award in Oct 2006 .
- The company crossed the 1 million customer mark in India in December 2006.
Marketing highlights for 2006:
2006 was a landmark year for marketing innovation as many new concepts were introduced to the consumer:
- Launched 87 new products in 2006.
- We also reached out to a lot of cities this year. This has been in sync to our endeavor to get technology closer to the consumers.
- In 2006, Canon conducted over 100 dealer meets in 50 plus cities and participated in over 60 IT exhibitions across the country.
- A successful marketing and brand building campaign across print and television. Appointed Sachin Tendulkar as the corporate brand ambassador.
- Company has engaged with 397 retail outlets, including 300 IT Imaging Zones, 54 Digiclick Zones, 7 Digic Video Zones, 4 Canon X'perience and 32 Canon Care Centres.
- Canon has cued in on the alliances route with 13 national and 28 city specific different retail chains.
- Canon has also successfully launched innovative channel and consumer promotions.
- Canon India has received a 'Superbrand Status' from the Brand council of Superbrand India, a division of Superbrand UK and the Readers Digest Gold award for 'Most trusted Brand in India for copiers & printers'.
Awards and Recognitions
Canon continues to be showered with recognition for its superior technology and quality across product segments. Canon was picked as the Best Digital Imaging Company by VAR India. In the Better Photography and Smart Photography arenas, the company's products like cameras, photo printers, all-in-one printers, lenses and super zooms, to name a few, have been declared to be the best.
Canon has notched up various prestigious awards. Starting from the prestigious Technical Image Press Association (TIPA) awards, the company was awarded for its EOS 5D- Best D-slr professional, Canon Digital Ixus 65- Best ultra compact D-Camera, Canon image Photograph iPF5000- Best Large Format Printer.
The multiple awards are a testimony of Canon's constant endeavor to provide the best of products and technology to its users. As of October 2006 Canon has received 151 product awards in India . Some of these awards include:
- Better Photography
- Best Prosumer Camera- Canon PowerShot S3IS
- Professional DSLR Camera- Canon EOS 30 D
- Camera of the Year Best Digital SLR-Consumer- Canon EOS 350D
- Best Photo Printer- Canon iP6000D
- Best Digital SLR-Professional- Canon 1DS Mark
- Best lens / Professional- Canon 100mm Macro
- Smart Photography
- Best Professional D-SLR of the Year- Canon EOS 5D
- Best Consumer D-SLR of the Year - Canon EOS 350D
- Best telephoto lens of the Year- EF 70-300mmf/4-5.6 DO IS USM
- Best Designed camera of the Year- Canon Digital IXUS iZoom
- Top 5 DSLR's of the Year
-- Canon EOS 1DS
-- Canon EOS 20D
-- Canon EOS 350D
- Asian Photography
- Best All in One Printer- Canon MP 110
- Best Consumer D-SLR of the Year- Canon EOS 350D
- 360 Magazine
- Best Manager of the year- Alok Bhardwaj
- Best products of the year- Canon iP1000
- Best products of the year- Canon iP3000
- Best products of the year- Canon LBP 2900
- Chip Performance- Canon Ixus 55
- Best Product of the Year- Powershot –S70