Acts as primary legal support to regional and country management, business units and functions for sales and marketing, distribution, supply chain, and operations. Provides legal subject matter expertise for commercial, antitrust, employment, real estate, pensions, company secretarial, post-acquisition merger and acquisition (M&A), litigation, and local regulatory compliance matters. Provides first-line support for all US extra-territorial regulatory compliance. Participates in senior regional and country management teams. Provides institutional knowledge, support, and fiduciary oversight in relation to corporate and local governance standards, policies, process, and reporting requirements. Manages local external legal counsel and associated budgets.
* Manages the full range of legal strategies and responsibilities, and the legal team, for a country, sub-region, or region in support of highly complex business or operational activity.
* Sets the strategy for the workgroup in alignment with the Associate General Counsel (AGC) or Deputy General Counsel (DGC).
* Manages a team of senior attorneys (Master level and above) or a larger team of more junior attorneys and Contract Negotiators.
* Leads complex, multidimensional projects, transactions, or problem resolution that spans legal, business, and functional boundaries (e.g., cross geographies, subject matter areas, jurisdictions, organizations and business models).
* Oversees the alignment of critical resources to high risk areas based on understanding the strategies and goals of the company and the Legal Department.
* Acts as a thought leader in the local/regional environment by advising on highly complex laws and regulations and their wide-reaching implications for the local/regional operations/businesses.
* Leads implementation of innovative process and policy improvements, proposals, or changes that align with business needs.
* Exerts influence on external industry counsels, policies, and regulatory bodies in area of specialization.
Education and Experience Required:
* Advanced university degree in law (e.g. JD or LLB).
* Meets local legal license requirements.
* Typically 12+ years commercial legal experience at a law firm or in-house.
* Typically 3+ years supervisory experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
* Excellent leadership and people management skills, including performance management, problem solving, and evaluation.
* Recognized authority on legal and relevant business issues in multiple practice areas in a country/region.
* Broad internal recognition as a subject matter expert on local/regional laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
* Advanced understanding of the multiple international legal environments.
* Mastery in negotiating or advising the most senior representatives of external and internal organizations on highly complex, high impact legal matters.
* Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
* English language skills to business standard required.