This is a Network Engineering position with focus on routing and switching. The Network Engineer will demonstrate in-depth knowledge of technical management and operational practices to develop the technical strategy used to maintain the network globally. The candidate will collaborate with technical SMEs, architecture, and vendors to lead, maintain and operate the company network. The role will support in developing the standards, metrics, and validate new solutions required to support our ecosystems of manufacturing and research locations worldwide.
This role will be a key part of a multifunctional team that designs, supports, secures, and maintains the underlying network infrastructure.
What will you do?
- Our global network operation center is ensuring that all outages, which are impacting our customers are resolved in a timely manner
- We aim to fulfill our customer's requests according to our set of SLAs
- We manage our network changes through a strict ITIL based process
- We monitor network health, including metrics collection, visualization, and alerting
- We track network utilization over time to assist capacity management models
- We are owning the network monitoring settings, maintenance and network incident management SOPs
- We self-serve problem management support for network root cause analysis, own and drive problem investigations, trend analysis
- We proactively carry out network vulnerability and patch management, software upgrades
- Be part of the team that supports, and improves a global network environment that includes routers, switches, firewalls, wireless controllers and load balancers.
- Find opportunities to improve the corporate network by implementing the network standards that have been established by the Global Networking Architecture team.
- Collaborate with the network SMES on optimization initiatives
- Be responsible for having all aspects of the network environment documented.
- Participate in the on-call rotation with other engineers to ensure support coverage for the global enterprise network.
- Participate in future weekend shift rotation (approx.. every 5-6 weeks, after Q1 2024)
- Provide lead support for lower support groups;
- Deliver mentorship and direction to lower level engineers and peer support groups
- End to end coordination with our vendors and providers for issue resolutions
- Handling the Service Now work queue to address customer requests within the established service level agreements.
- Drive quality into the metrics we report, including measurement of issues, network capacity, vendor equipment/failures analysis and network performance, as well as continual assessment of the quality and effectiveness of network monitoring and alerting.
- Responsible for documenting system maintenance, enhancements and performance for effective network operations and management
- Escalate complex incidents and requests to senior engineers or SMEs
- Find opportunities for automation and own these initiatives till completion in collaboration with respective SMEs and programmers
- Guide our customers and colleagues on Global Network engagement and ITIL processes
- Participate in technology trainings provided by SMEs or vendors
How will you get there?
- BA/BS education and/or work experience in network engineering & operations is preferred
- 5 years + experience in network engineering, operations, troubleshooting
- Experience with Cisco and Arista or Fortinet or F5 products and services.
- Basic understanding of Networking and Security standards, practices and methods.
- Working knowledge of SD-WAN management & troubleshooting is an advantage
- Understanding and experience of cloud computing specifically relating to networks, including AWS and/or Azure is an advantage
Tool & Technology Skills
- Telco: WAN, LAN, Wireless,
- OSS/BSS: Service Now, Jira
- Network Switching, Routing, Security, Cloud
- Product: Cisco, Fortinet, F5, Silver Peak SDWAN, Arista, Clearpass, OperGear, Meraki, AWS, Azure
- Automation: Python, API, Service Orchestration
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, good customer service skills, and a proven ability to work with various teams.
- Troubleshooting skills
- Be a self-motivated, highly ethical individual with a demonstrated ability to work as independently as well as with a team.
- Be eager to learn new technologies and develop your skills
- Develop relationships with our clients, engineering, and peer management teams, and effectively navigate across the organization.