- Data scientist job description
- Data scientist responsibilities
- What are the qualifications required to become a data scientist?
- Salary of data scientists in India
With digitization and technological advancement, data has become the key to success. Organizations are looking towards data-driven insights to take their businesses to new heights. This has inevitably led to the growing demand for data scientist jobs in the country and even globally.
According to the World Economic Forum, Data scientists and Analysts will be emerging as the No.1 leading role globally by 2022.
Wondering what are the qualifications required to become a data scientist? What is a data scientist job description? Or, data scientist role and responsibilities? In this blog, we will answer all your queries along with the salary of a data scientist offered in India.
Data scientist job description
Data science basically requires a series of methodologies and uses various models to analyze data and interpret how the results derived will impact the business. Once deciphered, a data scientist will then have to explain it to others in a simple yet explicit manner.
Data scientist responsibilities
Now, let's find out about data scientist responsibilities that make them so important to an organization.
- Round up data and identify the inception source of the data
- Analyze the received data
- Design solutions and strategies in order to address the complicated challenges of the business
- Find out patterns and trends via combining various algorithms and modules
- Be equipped with data visualization tools and techniques to present the retrieved information
- Arrive at end-to-end analytical solutions
- Collaborating with various teams to come up with better designs to strategize data
Relevant read: What Are Data Scientist Roles and Responsibilities
What are the qualifications required to become a data scientist?
Apart from the data scientist roles and responsibilities, one requires the following qualifications to become a data scientist.
A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Social sciences, etc. However, Mathematics and Statistics degrees are still highly preferred.
In addition to this, a degree in Computer science is essential as it provides essential skills to process and analyze big data.
Also, a data scientist’s education doesn’t end at this as the field requires constant need to stay abreast of new technical skills to provide better solutions to improve business.
Salary of data scientists in India
AmbitionBox records that the salary of a data scientist is approximately 10.5LPA.
However, the salary of a data scientist varies on various factors such as Location, Company’s budget, Work Experience, Skills, etc. Take, for example, the data scientist salary in Kolkata will be less in comparison to what is offered in Mumbai.
In this segment, we will take you through the salary of data scientists in India based on city, work experience, and the list of companies that pay the most.
Data scientist salary according to city
Location is one of the major factors when determining the salary of a data scientist. Here are a few factors responsible for determining the data scientist salary by location:
- Cost of Living
- Demand for the job role in the city
So, based on these factors, here’s what the top metropolitan cities offer data scientist salary:
In Bengaluru, the average data scientist salary is INR 10.6 LPA.
In New Delhi, the average data scientist salary is INR 10.1 LPA.
In Mumbai, the average data scientist salary is INR 10 LPA.
Data scientist salary according to experience
Every company keeps an allocated budget for different job roles based on various factors such as work experience, certified skills, etc.
Let’s find out the salary of a data scientist based on work experience.
The average data scientist salary for 1 year of work experience is approximately INR 6.7 LPA.
The average data scientist salary for 4 years of work experience is approximately INR 9.7 LPA.
The average data scientist salary for 8 years of work experience is approximately INR 13.5 LPA.
The average data scientist salary for 10 years of work experience is approximately INR 16 LPA.
Data scientist salary based on companies
In this section, we will take you through the companies that pay the highest data scientist salary in India.
- In Google with 6-8 years of experience, the salary of a data scientist in India is approximately 40.4 LPA.
- At Apple with 2-9 years of experience, the salary of a data scientist in India is approximately 37.9LPA.
- At Microsoft Corporation with 1-7 years of experience, the salary of a data scientist in India is approximately 29.6LPA.
- At Walmart, with 2-7 years of work experience, the salary of a data scientist in India is approximately 27.5LPA.
According to a LiveMint report, "With growing digital footprints across domains, companies are churning out huge volumes of data, thus creating a plethora of opportunities for hiring a large number of data scientists." The report also added that by 2025 the demand for data scientist jobs will be three times that of the current market trend.
So, it can be concluded that data scientist jobs provide many lucrative opportunities for data enthusiasts and companies will be willing to pay a great data scientist salary package to retain employees.
All the Best!